Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Power guy

I had a guy recently tell me his so-so result was OK because he wasn't a big "power guy" and right away I wondered why he was offering this up to me. As he continued I could see that it was an insecurity of his and something he used as an excuse to make him self feel better about his style and lack of effort in trying to become stronger. For a rider whose ability limiter is power, hard strength training workouts mean the difference between success and failure in crits and being able to sprint it out with the big boys. By explaining to me (and telling himself) that he isn't a "power guy" I feel what he really is saying to me that.... "Hey Ed I have a weakness that I'm not going to work on and I'm trying to be ok with that" I really believe anyone can improve there power numbers with a little effort and become a very powerful rider with A LOT of effort but if you say you can't...... you're right, if you tell your self you're just not powerful...... you're right, and if you never switch things up , try something new and work on your weaknesses I'll say....... "you're right" you just aren't a "power guy"

No comments:

Post a Comment